What is an AWOL ?
A.W.O.L. stands for "A Way of Life."
- AWOL is a method of studying the Twelve Steps using a specific format.
- The AWOL is NOT a GreySheet meeting. It is a closed step study group.
- AWOL groups are led by experienced co-leaders who have long-term abstinence and have completed at least one AWOL Step Study before.
Rules for Participation
- Leaders and participants must maintain at least 90 days of back-to-back GreySheet abstinence during the course of an AWOL.
- Attendance is required. Each group sets a limit on allowed absences.
- You must have at least 90 days of back-to-back GreySheet abstinence to join an AWOL.
How Do I Join?
- AWOL groups traditionally hold 3 open meetings before starting.
- Everyone who is interested is required to attend at least one open meeting to introduce themselves and discuss the logistics and rules of the AWOL.
- After the first three open meetings, the AWOL closes to existing members.
- Those who want to participate in the group commit to attending every week, until working through all 12 Steps.
How Do I Find an AWOL?
- Upcoming AWOLs are announced at meetings during announcement time, on the GreyNet email list, and on unofficial GreySheet-related social channels.
- If you are ready to work the Twelve Steps and are looking to join an AWOL, start by asking your sponsor and during outreach calls. You can also ask on the GreyNet and via social channels. Many AWOLs use formats and literature that are not conference approved, so they are not listed on this website or official GSAWS social properties.
What Materials Will I Need?
Different groups use different literature and different formats for things like your Fourth Step inventory, most often including at least one of the following books:
- Alcoholics Anonymous (the "Big Book")
- The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of GreySheeters Anonymous
- A daily meditation book of some kind.
Some AWOL groups use third-party recovery literature; some only use Conference-Approved GSA and AA literature.